Lil Durk Challenges Stalking Charge Ahead of Murder-for-Hire Trial

By
DancehallMag Team
DancehallMag is the leading independent publication covering Dancehall and Reggae music, the artists, and culture since 2019.
Lil Durk

The sharpest move Lil Durk’s legal team has made so far might not be about evidence at all. It’s about a name, or more precisely, the absence of one.

Defense attorneys for the Chicago rapper have filed a motion to dismiss one of the stalking conspiracy counts in his upcoming federal murder-for-hire trial, arguing that prosecutors never actually specified which person Durk and his co-defendants allegedly intended to harm. That gap, the defense says, is not a technicality. It’s a constitutional problem.

The disputed count lists two people by initials only: T.B. and S.R. Those refer to Quando Rondo, born Tyquian Bowman, and his cousin Saviay’a Robinson, known as Lul Pab. Robinson was killed in August 2022 near Los Angeles‘ Beverly Center in a shooting prosecutors say was meant for Rondo.

The defense argument cuts straight to how a unanimous jury verdict actually works. Durk’s attorneys wrote in the filing that “the Fourth Superseding fails to allege that Mr. Banks had the intent to harm a particular victim,” and that it “therefore fails to state an offense.” The worry is that some jurors could believe the stalking conspiracy targeted Rondo, while others could believe it targeted Robinson, and all twelve could vote guilty without ever agreeing on the same underlying act.

That scenario, the defense argues, creates exactly the kind of ambiguity the law is supposed to prevent. The filing states plainly that the setup “creates a danger that a jury could find a defendant guilty without reaching a unanimous consensus on the commission of any single, particular offense.” It’s a procedural challenge, but one with real teeth if the judge agrees.

Prosecutors are pushing back and want the count to stay in place. U.S. District Judge Michael Fitzgerald is set to hear arguments on the motion August 18, just two days before jury selection begins on August 20. That timeline makes this a genuinely urgent question, not something that can be sorted out mid-trial.

The defense also pointed to the government’s own proposed jury instructions for Count Two, noting that those instructions don’t name a victim either, which they argue reinforces the problem rather than resolving it. Prosecutors had already separated other stalking allegations by victim in earlier filings, which Durk’s team says makes the decision to leave this particular count vague even harder to justify.

The trial itself is now expected to proceed on six counts after Judge Fitzgerald previously split off newer charges connected to the 2022 killing of Stephon Mack in Chicago. That case will be tried separately and doesn’t have a date yet, so the August proceedings will stay focused on the Quando Rondo-related allegations.

If Fitzgerald grants the motion, one charge disappears before a single juror is seated. If he doesn’t, Durk’s attorneys have already made clear they plan to keep pressing the victim identity question throughout trial, turning what prosecutors may have hoped was a clean count into a live debate about whether the charge was ever properly defined in the first place.

In This Story:
Share This Article
Leave a Comment